Uganda, the Pearl of Africa will launch e-Visa applications effective 1st June, 2016. For several years, Uganda has been lagged behind in joining the trend for e-Visa applications that have been proved to be working well in neighboring countries such as Rwanda and Kenya.
The government of Uganda through the Immigration Department has announced that the infrastructure to launch e-Visa applications will be available by June 2016. The details which could be obtained read as follows:
1) Anyone arriving from 1st June 2016 who require Visas must have applied online, and on completion and submitting the application, intending travelers will receive a bar coded email notification.
2) On arrival at any border post, airport or land borders, that email must be presented and the bar code will be scanned into the immigration system. A Visa sticker will then be printed, including a scanned in picture and will be inserted into the passport on payment of the respective Visa fee.
3) For any Visa extensions, again the process is due to be completed on line though it is thought that anyone in Kampala may apply in person at the Immigration Headquarters at the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
4) These applications will be for regular single entry Visa, the common East African Tourist Visa (covering Kenya and Rwanda besides Uganda), multiple entry Visa and Business Visa.
5) Access to the application platform can be found at www.visas.immigration.go.ug
It is not yet known if Uganda, like Kenya, will also, for the time being, allow a parallel process of Visa on arrival, and we will share this information with our readers once clarification is sought.